“God bless America, land that I love, Stand beside her and guide her, Through the night with a light from above.” These are the famous lyrics from the well-known patriotic song that is played at American sporting events, political rallies and during national holidays and celebrations.
But the real question is, ‘Should God bless America?’ Is America in a condition to be blessed by God? Look at the following American statistics and ask yourself how can God bless a nation that is in the spiritual crisis we are in? And if God did pour out His blessing upon an unrepentant nation that is manifesting the following moral deficiencies, what would that say about the character of a holy, just and perfect God?
- Every second 28,258 users are watching pornography on the internet
- Every second $3,075.64 is being spent on pornography on the internet
- Every second 372 people are typing the word “adult” into search engines
- 40 million American people regularly visit porn sites
- 35% of all internet downloads are related to pornography
- Source for pornography stats
- 15,696 murders (2015), amounting to 43 per day
- 1.2 million violent crimes reported (2015)
- 385 mass shootings (during 2016 alone)
- 2.3 million people currently jailed in America
- Average of 321,500 victims of rape and assault each year (age 12 and older)
- Every 98 seconds, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted
- One child is abused every 10 seconds and raped every two minutes
- Every 40 seconds, a child goes missing or is abducted (yes, you read that right)
- More than 800,000 children are reported missing each year (2,200 per day)
- Four to seven children die every day as a result of child abuse or neglect
- 24.6 million used an illicit drug in the previous month (2013, age 12 and older)
- 19.8 million users of marijuana (as of 2013—and 94 million in the U.S. have used it at least once)
- 144 die every day from drug overdose (52,404 cases in 2015)
- 36.5 million Americans smoke (2015)
- 15.7 million have Alcohol Use Disorder (2015)
The Path to Blessings
The only way to blessings, peace, purpose and meaning is a life that acknowledges God, that loves and obeys Him: “See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil; In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.” Deuteronomy 30:15, 16.
The Path that’s Cursed
The path of sin and disobedience, truing from God, rejecting His commandments is a road that will lead to curses, death and misery: “But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them; I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land.” Deuteronomy 30:17, 18.
America Must Choose Life
The message for America is that God will most certainly bless us collectively as a nation if only we would acknowledge Him and His word. If we could only acknowledge that we have sinned and if we would repent and turn to Him then we will truly be blessed. All of God’s blessing will be poured upon a people who seek forgiveness and a new life of obedience through faith is Jesus Christ. This is the only way to be blessed by God.
“I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers.” Deuteronomy 30:19, 20.