“How are the mighty fallen in the midst of the battle.” 2 Samuel 1:25.
Pastors and leaders from the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists have become the latest victims in a long list of culture war casualties. Many of them are going down fast; falling like flies, falling away and abandoning our long-standing, Biblical position of calling people to repentance. Many are caving to the militant homosexual lobby, to the rainbow warriors, to the GAYstapo, and to the gay mafia. They are buying into their ideas while selling their own souls for the price of cultural conformity.
The North American Division [NAD] has come out with a new book that contains many of the tenants of the gay agenda, and now they are pushing this godless, immoral propaganda upon the rest of the church. Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones – Adventist Edition is a 71 page book prepared for Adventist families and ministry leaders. 
This book is published and distributed by the NAD and is being used by pastors and teachers as a “resource guide” to help obtain a correct “posture shift” on LGBT+ issues. Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones – Adventist Edition lays out new rules that the NAD wants to implement in our churches, schools and institutions when dealing with the LGBT+ dilemma. It was written by a non-Adventist “expert” and author Bill Henson. The NAD took his book and repackaged it by adding some Bible versus, the church logo and the NAD name and address.
It appears that the leadership in North America wants the rank and file members to instinctively get in line and just accept this “Adventist Edition” as the new authority on LGBT+ issues. Because this book has a copyright and because no permission is given to copy portions of the book, we will simply give an overview. It’s quite frightening.
1. Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones, pp. 1-37 provides the following:
- Informs us about the different key terms, definitions and vocabulary used by the LGBT+ people
- Statistics about the LGBT+ community
- Risks and challenges LGBT+ people face
- Common mistakes that the NAD believes that parents and church leaders make in relation to the LGBT+ community
2. Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones, p. 41, paragraphs 5 and 6 states the following:
- We are not called to win debates
- We can’t change anyone
- We can’t control people
- We should have no interest in judging people
There is no mention in this book that there is a God in heaven Who does have the power to change us. Nowhere in this entire book is there any message that says, “Yes, God has the power to give us a new life of freedom and purity.” Nothing is said on what God can and will do for us:
“A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.” Ezekiel 36:26, 27.
3. Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones, p. 43, paragraph 3 states the following:
- Most gay people simply do not change throughout their entire lifetime
- Even with religious instruction or therapy LGBT+ people don’t generally change
- If someone does change, its because they are still transitioning
This new book that the NAD is distributing makes no mention on how the Apostle Paul affirms that many former homosexuals were changed by the power of the gospel.
“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites … And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.” 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (New King James Version).
4. Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones, p. 44, paragraphs 3 and 4 states the following:
- Don’t use theology or the Bible when discussing human sexuality
- People are not sinners because of their sexual orientation
- People are not sinners because of their gender identity
- We are all sinners because we were “born into sin”
This is pure Roman Catholic theology. The Catholic doctrine of “original sin” teaches that we are not sinners because we break God’s law; but rather, humans are sinners because they were born. 
5. Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones, p. 47, paragraphs 1-4 states the following:
- Attending same-sex weddings is a matter of “personal discretion”
- Irreparable damage can occur by not attending a family member’s same-sex wedding
- Not attending a family member’s same-sex wedding can destroy family trust
- One should “prayerfully” consider attending a family member’s same-sex wedding
6. Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones, pp. 55-59 states the following:
- We must pray and trust in God
- Non-doctrinal prayers are published that come from the Church of England’s Book of Common Prayer as suggestions for our prayers.
- Prayer is not about “praying away” a person’s sexual orientation
- Prayer is about taking our fears, doubts and anxieties to God
7. Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones, p. 71 states the following:
- They actually publish SDA Belief #23 from the 28 Fundamental Beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church on Marriage and Family on the last page of the book (page 71)
- However, they offer no commentary or any explanations to SDA Belief #23 which states our correct Biblical teaching on human sexuality
- Yet on pages 3-70, the book basically tells us not to teach SDA Belief #23 to the LGBT+ community
- On pages 3-70 we are basically told that the LGBT+ community can’t even change or conform to our SDA Belief #23
This is confusion. This is an attempt to make it appear that we are still upholding the Scriptures and that we haven’t changed any of the church’s beliefs. Yet the entire book builds the argument that LGBT+ people can’t even change. So the NAD is putting us in a stalemate. So what’s the solution? According to the book, we need to become a welcoming and accepting church, rather than a church that calls LGBT+ people to repentance.
Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones uses nearly 60 Bible verses and some Spirit of Prophecy statements that affirm only one aspect of God – His love and acceptance. Not one Bible verse is used throughout this book that speaks about obedience. How do you labor building up a Biblical case for love and not even mention obedience?
- “If you love Me, keep My commandments.” John 14:15.
- “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.” 1 John 5:3.
- “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love.” John 15:10.
- “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” John 14:21.
You cannot defend the clear Biblical teaching on sexuality (SDA Belief #23) and at the same time welcome every type of sexual distortion found in our world. This is a people-pleasing compromise. This is attempting to bear the name of Christ while continuing in sin and disobedience. This is seeking a middle ground between light and darkness, which is impossible. This is promoting a false gospel because it denies the life-changing “power” of the true gospel. “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation” (Romans 1:16).
What will the life-changing power of the gospel do for us?
- “But ye have not so learned Christ; If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.” Ephesians 4:20-24.
- “Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.” John 8:34-36.
What happens when the church capitulates to the homosexual agenda?
- The Bible and Spirit of Prophecy in effect become only “good advice” and no longer become “profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16, 17).
- The Seventh-day Adventist name gets dragged through the mud (Romans 14:16).
- Christ is crucified afresh (Hebrews 6:6).
The Bible has prophesied that a massive, gay-sexual storm will break out during the final generation of earth’s history (Luke 17:26-30). This gay tsunami is described as being “without natural affection” and will lay waste of everything in its path (2 Timothy 3:1-5). We will either stand fast and stay strong, or we will cower in a corner and bow down to the alter of multiculturalism and political correctness. If we don’t stand up for the truth now, we will regret it when our children get swept away by the “inclusion” and “diversity” movement that is sweeping the world.
Instead of contending for the faith (Jude 1:3) and fighting back against the militant homosexual lobby, it appears that our people are caving in. The gay lobby is on a search and destroy mission and they will not rest until every church, every school and every institution is turned into a likeness of its own LGBT+ image.
“But that which causes me to tremble is the fact that those who have had the greatest light and privileges have become contaminated by the prevailing iniquity. Influenced by the unrighteous around them, many, even of those who profess the truth, have grown cold and are borne down by the strong current of evil” (Testimonies, Vol. 5, p. 209).
For more information on this topic click here and here to read two articles written by Wayne Blakely, co-founder of Coming Our Ministries. This is a ministry of dedicated Seventh-day Adventists who provide real help to homosexuals through God’s love and through the redemptive power of the gospel.